5/5/05

A LITTLE CATCHING UP

Instead of sending a long email to a group of friends, I post this blog

Kevin was kind enough to forward this on to me, so I have been able to catch up with you guys as well - except, I didn't get the original email from Logan so I don't know what the hubbub is about grape-smuggler shorts and your anti-fossil fuel crusade. I would just like to add that fossil fuels make your cold sixers possible - and no one sees MY junk when I drive to the corner store.

How could you give up your mountain bike? I will be the first to admit that I haven't actually ridden mine in about a year or two, but I still have it - AND I have even upgraded it. It is now, truly, tricked out like an SUV. I put semi slicks it because I know I'm not actually going anywhere near off-road - but they are "semi" slicks, so just in case I feel the need to, I can!

What have I been up to? hmm. Amber and I bought a house in St. Paul and fixed it up. Amber teaches, I don't know how to explain what it is that I do. We decide to add on to the family and in 2002, Amber and I successfully bring together an egg and a sperm. Being first time zygote bearers, we read books with titles like "what to expect when you are expecting" and "the expectant father", we go to birthing class - apparently so that I can't yell at the top of my lungs in the delivery room - "I don't know nuthin bout birthin no babies!" - we walk, we, uh I rub her back and feet, we worry about how much caffeine the baby is getting, we watch our alcohol intake (really not a problem for Amber, but it was for me!!!) we do research on birthing methods, and so on ad nauseam.


Wade, Amber (Willow - our Schnauzer) and the player to be named later.

In February 2003, Colton was born and we became a family of three (plus two dogs and two cats). Glory of glories - how fantastic is the birth of a child? To quote our friend Kevin "Freedom" Williams - There are no words. This being our first child, we spend what little free time we find sleeping and reading more books - now titled "what to expect from the first year" or "the new father". Amber goes to Mommy and me classes and enrolls me in a father and son class - sorry, I just didn't get it though. As enlightened as I am (am I?), I really don't enjoy going through group introspection. Not for me. - Colton loves being carried around in the Snuglie, but that damn thing is difficult to put together, and we write down, photograph and video-tape most major milestones.


Colton having fun in the tub!

We sell house and move into Amber's mom's house (if you ever hear me tell a mother in law joke, slap me for this saint of a woman and her family) for a year to save money and pay off bills. Even though it works, I don't recommend this strategy. To hasten our departure from these dire circumstances, Amber and I conceive again, and the search for a new house begins. Our new house is located thirty or so miles from the eastern edge of the Twin Cities (the 494 loop) in Hammond, Wisconsin. Don't worry, my blood is still purple. Colton loves the new place, because he has a room that isn't just a curtain away from mom and dad's room (okay, really this is why Mom and Dad like the new house so much - but that is beyond the point. Attached garages are fantastic.

All this time I am working at Edge Advertising doing incredibly useless things for the power-sports industry and lazily looking for new work. The move to Hammond - 57 miles one way from my job in Plymouth, MN, facilitates a new earnestness in the job search, and in January I take a new position as Assistant Creative Manager with Cub Foods. I am just figuring out what it is that I do, and that is another longish email. Suffice it to say that I am in charge of the look for the weekly inserts at Cub East - which is in Chicago - and assisting with Cub West - Minnesota and Iowa. The office is located in the old Stillwater Junior High School - a 22 mile drive on back roads through the beautiful Wisconsin countryside.


oh, so seriously posing
In March, Melodius Thünk gathers once again in our western studios in West Fargo, ND to write music and drink beer (or is that drink beer and write music, I always forget). We will get together in September or so in our eastern studios (Elkton, MD) to finish the album and drink beers. Those interested in hearing what Thünk has been doing these last few years, please go to www.thunkonline.com and order an album or three, they are cheep and you know they are good. Just ask Kevin - he has all of them.


Brecca, Minutes old

In April - after nine months of a very difficult and painful pregnancy - in which we must have felt that we knew everythin about birthin them babies because we didn't read any books (they are out and referenced often - but we didn't read them so breathlessly this time) or go to any classes. Part of that may have been how the baby was sitting on one of Amber's nerves the whole time - proving yet again that women bear pain far more gracefully than men, Amber rarely complained, only when tears were imminent would anyone who didn't live with us know just how bad it was. Thankfully, our daughter Brecca was born after a ten hour active labor and four big pushes - literally ten minutes of active "Push - Puuuushhhh!" Brecca must have known and felt bad about her positioning in the womb.


Brecca, Hours old



Thus far (three weeks into it) she has been an absolute angel. She really only cries when she is hungry, and that is on the basic two hour schedule until night, when I don't have a clue about what is going on because Amber moved into Brecca's room because I am working and she can sleep longer in the mornings (Colton comes into the room every morning at 5:45 or so - "I waked up!". It's bad when you've seen this particular episode of George Shrinks before! I would not miss this for anything, though. i really love getting the morning going with my son!)


Colton and Brecca

So - long story. I hope it was interesting and that you wanted to know, because I just told you! I hope this finds all of you in good health, and barring that, at least good humor. God Bless you all. Later!




Wade, Amber, Colton and Brecca

No comments: